Social media is probably the greatest tool ever known for marketing products & services.
But what if you sell a product or service that basically bores people to tears? Can Facebook and other social networks still work for you?
I’d argue yes.
For example, look at what Blendtec has done with their “Will it Blend” series of videos. They’ve taken a boring product — a blender — and made it a cultural icon.
I started thinking about how to help companies with boring products after doing my recent fan page review for Mr. Bee’s Appliance. I worked in the appliance sales & repair business for almost 4 years, so I know what it feels like trying to make a run-of-the-mill product sexy.
Anyway, I came up with 35 tips. Check them out below.
Note: these aren’t just Facebook tips. You can use them on Google+, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, or any other social network.
35 Awesome Social Media Tips for Boring Products
- Post at least 3-4 times a week, but once a day is even better
- Don’t be “salesy” — follow the 70/20/10 rule: 70% informative, 20% other people’s posts, 10% sales
- Be personable — people want to see the personal side of your business
- Use blog posts to drive traffic to your site
- Write “How to” posts related to your product
- Post information about your community
- Be unpredictable
- Share pictures of your staff getting involved in the community
- Share customer reviews & testimonials
- Post pictures of customers using & buying your product/service
- Create contests for your fans on Facebook and give away awesome (relevant) prizes
- For brick & mortar businesses — encourage fans to check-in while at your business (even better if they get a discount)
- Choose one social media network & master it — you don’t have to be on every site!
- Host a live Q&A once per month using a webinar platform or something like Spreecast or Google+ Hangouts
- Promote your referral or affiliate program
- Do a weekly podcast discussing hot topics in your niche and giving how-to tips
- Encourage customers to post pictures & reviews to your Facebook page
- Change out your Cover Photo on Facebook at least twice a month
- Never be negative
- Share posts from “experts” in your niche
- Have a weekly or monthly plan of what you’re going to post each day
- Run a “Promoted Posts” to re-engage with lost fans
- Post about fresh & timely current events — but stay away from politics!
- Use Facebook as a fan page and comment on other local or similar pages as your page (but don’t spam with links)
- Post informative videos about your boring product, but make them funny (and short)
- Don’t beg your followers & fans for Likes
- When sharing content from others, include a brief text with your thoughts
- Ask great questions about your product — for example: Who invented the 1st “boring product”?
- Dig through Quora and find what people are asking about in your niche — then answer their questions on Quora & Facebook.
- Create events and fill the event page with great images of your business, products & staff
- Start a Facebook Group around your niche product — people tend to talk more in groups
- Schedule posts for the weekends & after hours — the majority of Facebook users are online during this time
- Choose & recognize publicly a “Fan of the Week” or “Month” – Booshaka‘s a great app for this!
- If your product is visually appealing, create a board on Pinterest & encourage your fans to share
- Be active on your page!
- Reply to every comment and message — it only helps your Edgerank
See more at PostPlanner.com