If we are to arrest the negative effects of climate change we all have to buy into a sustainable future and the one way we can do this is by planning low carbon or carbon neutral
Weddings, conferences, festivals and concerts are all startling sources of green house gas emissions. The unnecessary use of heating or air conditioning at the venue; guests travelling long distances; superfluous decorations; disposal cutlery and crockery and even embossed invitations have the potential to create a significant carbon footprint but fortunately sustainable strategies can be found to limit the damage!
Identify the major sources of greenhouse gas emissions
The first step to take when planning a
Find a strategic solution to the problems
Then it’s simply a matter of finding a strategic solution to these problems:
- Choose a destination which is close to the majority of invitees so that long haul flights are not an issue or offer long distance guests the opportunity of participating via teleconferencing.
- Select a venue and accommodation that use energy and water-efficient equipment and practices.
- Arrange a fuel efficient or fuel alternative guest shuttle service.
- Insist the caterer only use organic, locally produced ingredients and flowers.
- Use recycled goods and services as far as possible, from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper for the invitations to catering equipment hire for the cutlery, china, glassware and kitchen equipment. Disposable plates and cutlery will simply end up in the landfill.
- Opt for genuine linen tablecloths and napkins, sourced from catering hire companies, instead of paper alternatives, as these can be used over and over again.
Dispose in a sustainable manner
After the event it’s essential to dispose of the remnants in a safe and sustainable manner too. Left-over food should be diverted to homeless shelters and the scraps tossed onto the compost. Flowers can be dropped off at the local hospital, church or old age home and any decorations should be collected and recycled.
London catering equipment rental – the smart and eco-friendly option
Hire catering equipment instead of buying cheap, disposable items; email your invitations or use vegetable-based ink on recycled paper and, if all else fails, put your hand in your pocket and purchase Renewable Energy Certificates to offset energy wastage and you’ll not only be investing in a clean, renewable energy source but a bright future for generations to come!