Are you a businessperson? Do you carry business cards with you? Most businesspersons do carry business cards with them. However, they are surprised when they are asked if they own or operate a website for their business. Several of them don’t even recognize the need. In fact, most of them still believe in the “brick and mortar” shop strategy.
However, the world is dynamic and it is even more so these days with the advent of computers and internet technologies. If you want your business to prosper, then you should have a virtual or online business card which simply put is your business website. Imagine, giving a hard copy visiting card and your customer asking you whether they can access your store online. Now, that should give you a fair idea of what customers in modern times look out for. They want the convenience of shopping from their homes.
If you already own a website or rent or lease one for your business, then you are doing the right thing. However, you can surely benefit more by optimizing your website further so that you can attract more business. Here are a few tips for you to keep in mind.
1. A domain name, web host and web pages are required if you are looking to setup your very own website.
2. If you are a “newbie”, you might want to start off with ready made templates and then move on to professional designing and consultants.
3. Your pages need to offer value to customers else they will quickly depart.
4. Web pages should primarily be text based since that is what most search engines crawl, collect and serve in search results. Use mostly text to optimize for web searches and images to grip your customers once they are there.
5. Don’t make your website a maze for customers. Too many web pages may cause customers to lose focus.
6. Your website must contain the right mix of media like audio and video as required. Go by strict requirement only.
7. Keep web content to advertising ratios sensible. 75% advertising and 25% content will surely lose most customers for you.
8. Keep content descent. Unless you are targeting an adult audience, you should not be letting your website come across as sleazy.
9. Optimize your website. Some of your customers may have a dialup. Be sensitive and optimize your website to cater to different audience. Avoid content that sucks up internet bandwidth unless absolutely necessary. Avoid auto loading elements. No pop-ups please. Avoid dead links.
10. Don’t plagiarize. Let your content be original and professional.
11. Allow Customers to contact you. Include contact info, phone and email details.
12. Pay attention to spelling and grammar.
13. Don’t shout at your customers. Don’t capitalize whole words and sentences.
14. Improve readability by maintaining appropriate character fonts, sizes, colors and line spacing.
15. Avoid frames and image backgrounds. Create menus for your website.
These are only a few